Friday 27 January 2012

Flames of War - German Panzergrenadiers Vs Russians

So my first foray into FoW since my games against Leigh at new year. Playing Alan in a 1500pt late war game.

My list was pretty balanced
HQ, 2 6 squad platoons and a 4 squad platoon, my three new Pumas, 2 Tiger Es + 3 Panzerwerfers with Pak40 AT support.

Alan had a big infantry platoon, a 12 piece artillery platoon, 7 T34s, 4 big tank hunters.

We where playing length ways down the board with me defending. I set up one of the 6 squad platoons with attached panzershrek, the Pak40 and the Panzerwerfers, with the Tigers in Ambush. I had rolled "Schnell" for my Ace Skill allowing me to stormtropper move on a 2+.

Alan deployed his armour to my right and his infantry to the left with the artillery at the back.

Alan won in the end but it was damn close, here are the highlights.

Alan turn 2, his infantry are pinned by the werfers and he roles to un-pin, 3 failed roles later and the troops aint moving and they have killed their Commissar! The following turn say them take massive casualties as the MG teams opened up, with Alan failing 10 of 13 3+ saves, it was starting to look shaky for the Allies.

The T34s advance quickly down the right side, take up position behind a hedge and destroy one of the Tigers. In my following turn my plucky Pumas show up and destroy 2 and bail one! The return fire managed to bail them all, in my turn they all got back in and killed another 2 tanks! The exchange carried on, resulting in them destroying Alans CiC and then finally Pumas broke leaving 2 T34s remaining!

The game was decided by the Russian infantry assaulting the depleted platoon (my reserves showed up 1 turn too late) with the tank hunters in support, pushing me off the objective to allow Alan a victory.

A truly awesome game and Alan as always was a pleasure to play against. Hopefully I will get to play some more of the FoW gamers in the coming weeks.

3 comments:

  1. It was a brutal game - I did think when my Infantry got gutted that was probably it but the SU's came through. I'm not sure whether to hand the 'most ruddy useless' mark to my artillery or your Tigers, I don't think either actually killed anything all game :-D.

    Those Pumas were nasty, definitely a higher priority target next time! That last stand of Motostrelkovy are all getting medals for their bravery/lunacy in continuing to attack :-P.

    Your best bet to play someone else is to drop Faileas a PM on the forum or ask John next time your in - I don't think Pete's going to be around for the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave. Give me a shout on the forum (I'm the ape) next time you fancy a game of Flames of War. I can be flexible on days if I get enough notice.

    ReplyDelete